The American Society of Architectural Illustrators, ASAI, is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement and recognition of the art, science and profession of architectural illustration. Through communication, education and advocacy, the Society strives to refine and emphasize the role of illustration in the practice and appreciation of architecture. Membership in the organization is open to professional illustrators, architects, designers, teachers, students, corporations, and anyone engaged in the serious pursuit of architectural drawing. Thought Leaders in Architectural Illustration Since 1986, members of the American Society of Architectural Illustrators have had a powerful impact on the practice and presentation of architectural imagery, and have been instrumental in the advancement of architectural and rendering practices worldwide. The organization acts as a connector enabling artists and architects to collaborate on everything from projects and technique to effective business practices. The ASAI website serves as a hub for information for our members. As a member you would receive access to member-only information.
Membership CategoriesASAI has restructured its membership categories in an effort to make clearer the different membership categories, and address the changing landscape of our field. There are three levels of membership:
- Individual – This level is for individuals practicing architectural illustration/visualization as sole proprietors, or individuals working in larger organizations whose primary business is not architectural illustration/visualization (i.e. Architectural firm in house illustrators, faculty members, individual artists). Additional benefits at this level include eligibility to enter into our annual competition, eligibility to be listed as an individual on ASAI’s website, a Gallery Page on the website, and the eligibility to enroll the ASAI member (and spouse) into our health insurance program. Individual Membership
- Corporate – This level is for firms of two or more people who practice architectural illustration/visualization as a primary business. (i.e. illustration/visualization studios with more than one person on the payroll) Additional benefits at this level include eligibility to enter into our annual competition, the eligibility to enroll all members of your company (and spouses) in ASAI’s health insurance program, eligibility to be listed as a firm with a contact name on ASAI’s website, A Gallery Page on the website, and discounted rates for all members of your firm at the annual conference. Corporate Membership
- Student – This level is free for students and includes 5 entries into the Architecture in Perspective Student Competition. Student members are not eligible to enter the Architecture in Perspective PROFESSIONAL competition. Students MUST currently be enrolled in school and provide a current Student ID card at the time of entry. Student enrollment will be verified by ASAI through contact to the university of enrollment. Student Membership
Website Directory and Gallery ListingsThe ASAI website typically ranks in the top 3 for terms such as architectural illustrator and architectural illustration. The ASAI Gallery listing is an important part of membership. In terms of internet marketing, if someone does a search for “architectural illustrator” or “architectural illustration” the ASAI website is typically one of the top 3. Top 3! What that means is that when users are searching for illustrators they are going to see the ASAI website first and have the opportunity to utilize our directory to find an artist. This is fantastic exposure for our members! *Student memberships are not eligible for a gallery listing on the ASAI website.
Architecture in Perspective CompetitionMembers are invited to submit their works to the Architecture in Perspective Competition, a juried international architectural delineation competition that has included work by the most accomplished contemporary architectural illustrators from around the world. The exhibition consists of approximately 60 pieces of artwork selected by a jury of respected professionals from the fields of architecture, illustration, journalism, and design education. This exhibition travels to various venues throughout the U.S. and overseas.
CatalogIn conjunction with the competition, a full-color catalog is printed. This catalog has become a resource for architects. All selected artists from the competition are published in the catalog. The catalog includes a membership directory as well as a designated artist section for those members that submitted their entries to the competition but were not chosen. The catalogs are sold and distributed world-wide. Members receive a discount on their catalog purchases.
Traveling ExhibitThe Architecture in Perspective exhibition consists of approximately 60 pieces of artwork selected by a jury of respected professionals from the fields of architecture, illustration, journalism, and design education. This exhibition travels to various venues throughout the U.S. and overseas.
ConferenceThe American Society of Architectural Illustrators challenges its members to become better illustrators, and rewards the architectural community and the community at large with a higher standard for visual communications. Each year in the fall, ASAI holds a worldwide conference in the home town of the acting president, providing an environment for the open exchange of ideas and practices, as well as many educational opportunities. Members receive discounted event fees for the conference.
ConvergenceAn online resource with highlighted news about member’s accomplishments and events, news, programs, and letters from headquarters. All members are welcome to submit articles through the Convergence Editor.
CEU’sSeminars offered during the conference can be submitted to the AIA by self-reporting.
American Society of Illustrators Partnership (ASIP)Collecting societies are a new concept to most American illustrators. They exist in countries around the world, but currently, there are none for illustrators in the US. The Illustrators’ Partnership brought together 13 prominent visual arts organizations. (ASAI is one of six original founding members.) These groups have incorporated as the American Society of Illustrators Partnership (ASIP). ASIP, which has been chartered as a collecting society, hopes to begin the long-overdue process of bringing accountability to illustrators’ reprographic rights. The 13 founding groups of ASIP also formed the nucleus of the 85 organizations that opposed the Orphan Works bill.
LinkedIn and Facebook GroupsMembers are given access to exclusive discussion groups on LinkedIn and Facebook. These groups are likened to a mastermind group for sharing ideas, work, posting questions, or posting general news from the architecture world.
Access to ASAI business practice and organization guidelines including:
- Standard Agreement for Services Contract and Notice of Copyright form
- Copyright information
- Regular email notices of events
- ASAI Bylaws
Other benefits include:
- Exclusive Health/Business Insurance Program
- Discounts and information on ASAI publications, lectures, seminars and workshops
- Eligibility to enter Architecture in Perspective competition.
- Current membership list with addresses, telephone, email and website to facilitate professional and personal dialogue*
- Full voting rights in annual officer elections
- Signature use of “ASAI” on signed artwork
- Discounts on annual event-filled conference
- Listing on ASAI website
- An international membership that includes countries from all over the world
Additional Benefits for Corporate Memberships:
- Corporate membership benefits include the possibility of a maximum of 3 award winners (3 separate people) from a single corporate member (firm) in the Architecture in Perspective Competition
- All employees under a Corporate Membership are eligible for the benefits and discounts as listed above under “Other benefits include”
- Australian Association of Architectural Illustrators
- Japan Architectural Renderers Association, Japan
- Korean Architectural Perspectivists Association, Korea
- The American Institute of Architects, Washington, DC
- The Architectural Society of China, China
- The New York Society of Renderers, New York
- The Society of Architectural & Industrial Illustrators, United Kingdom
- Design Communication Association
- AECDaily.com – Free Online Continuing Education Center